Bright Wall/Dark Room is currently accepting submissions for our monthly online magazine. Each issue is built around a particular theme, and we open up the submission process for each new issue 1-2 months in advance of the submission deadline. We are also now accepting general pitches and submissions (off-theme) for consideration.
- Something you saw before you were “ready” for it, that only clicked into place later, once you gained maturity as a viewer (or a person).
- Something you had the wrong expectation of the first time, and that you've since learned how to approach.
- Something using a technique that you didn’t then know how to recognize.
- Something you intentionally gave a second chance, at the urging of trusted friends or colleagues, and found something new/different as a result.
- Something you always appreciated but have now come to see as an even more careful and meaningful work.
- A childhood favorite that has soured upon a reviewing—for its messaging, filmmaking, or some combination of the two.
- A formative teenage favorite that you’ve come to see differently over time.
- Something that felt right at the moment of its release/when you first saw it, but for one reason or another (analyze the reasons!) feels off now. Were we all swept up in a cultural current? Did the work hit an emotional chord that blinded us to its faults?
- Any interesting or original account of a changing relationship to a film or show.
We welcome unsolicited essay submissions of any length, on any film or television related topic. If you'd like to submit a pitch or an essay to our editorial team, this is the place to do it. However, before you submit your piece, we recommend that you read our current issue online, or browse through our archives a bit, to get a sense of the kinds of things we tend to publish.
Please note: due to the number of submissions we receive, we aren't always able to respond to every single pitch or submission. However, if we are interested in your pitch or submission, you will be contacted within one month.